- An Affair of Poisons - Historical France is a beautiful place yet bloody through the eyes of Addie Thorley! -

7:00 AM


40046019After unwittingly helping her mother poison King Louis XIV, seventeen-year-old alchemist Mirabelle Monvoisin is forced to see her mother’s Shadow Society in a horrifying new light: they’re not heroes of the people, as they’ve always claimed to be, but murderers. Herself included. Mira tries to ease her guilt by brewing helpful curatives, but her hunger tonics and headache remedies cannot right past wrongs or save the dissenters her mother vows to purge.

Royal bastard Josse de Bourbon is more kitchen boy than fils de France. But when the Shadow Society assassinates the Sun King and half the royal court, he must become the prince he was never meant to be in order to save his injured sisters and the petulant Dauphin. Forced to hide in the derelict sewers beneath the city, any hope of reclaiming Paris seems impossible—until Josse’s path collides with Mirabelle’s, and he finds a surprising ally in his sworn enemy.

She's a deadly poisoner. He's a bastard prince. Together, they form a tenuous pact to unite the commoners and former nobility against the Shadow Society. But can a rebellion built on mistrust ever hope to succeed?


I love anything that is inspired or based off of real historical events. So, once I read about An Affair of Poisons I knew I had to read this book. I enjoyed it, I had fun with it!
For me, the lead characters had a good building up to there relationship that it was easy to cheer for them. The way Thorley wrote their build-up was delightful, are they, are they not. I wasn't surprised by every single twist that happened, but that didn't take away from the joy I had while reading. This story, for me, was about the characters and not just the plot. I cared what happened to these characters from the king's death to the fight against the Shadow Society. There was one scene that lost a character that did hurt, I felt my eyes burn with a few tears.
Family plays such a strong role in this book, it's nice to see two different kinds of family, and how each side deals with these problems differently. Historical France is a beautiful place yet bloody place through the eyes of Addie Thorley!

Enemies fall in love, glorious descriptions, fantasy elements, what more could you want in a historical event inspired by L'affaire des poisons!!

I was given a NetGallley ARC, this is 100% an honest review!







You Might Also Like

0 comments

I Review for...

Professional Reader

Reviews Published50 Book Reviews