- soft magic. by Upile Chisala - words have powers and Upile Chisala uses them in a positive light, that's a powerful thing. -

8:30 AM


27207807'soft magic.' is the debut collection of prose and poetry by Malawian writer, Upile Chisala. This book explores the self, joy, blackness, gender, matters of the heart, the experience of Diaspora, spirituality and most of all, how we survive. 'soft magic.' is a shared healing journey.

This is my favorite poetry I've read so far in 2019. My favorite part of these poems is the power that they tell and show us about. From women to skin color this book covers it all without putting anyone down. This is the first book I've read by Upile Chisala and I can't wait to read more because I enjoyed the way these words made me feel, made me think, you know that it's good writing when that happens. Like many poetry books I wrote down many lines and even a full poem here are there. One of my favorite lines is "I hope to do with words what dancers do with limbs." and I just love that line. There is something about that. how worlds and limbs are the same while turning them both into something to entertain people, just inspires me.

With that said, words have powers and Upile Chisala uses them in a positive light, that's a powerful thing.

This is a review of the ARC, these are 100% my honest thoughts.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

I Review for...

Professional Reader

Reviews Published50 Book Reviews