Friday Review: A New Darkness

6:30 AM




A chilling new trilogy from the author of the internationally bestselling The Last Apprentice series! Tom Ward is an apprentice no longer—now he is a fully fledged spook battling boggarts, witches, and other creatures of the dark. This three-book arc will introduce brand-new readers to Joseph Delaney’s haunting world, and delight longtime fans.
Tom Ward is the spook, the one person who can defend the county from ghosts, ghasts, boggarts, witches, and other bloodthirsty creatures of the dark. But he’s only seventeen, and his apprenticeship was cut short when his master died in battle. No one trusts Tom’s skill, not till he’s proven himself. And a fifteen-year-old girl named Jenny knows more about the three mysterious deaths in the county than Tom does. She is a seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and she wants to be Tom’s first apprentice—even though a female spook is unheard of. Together, Tom and Jenny will uncover the grave danger heading straight toward the county, and they’ll team up with a witch assassin to confront it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20877380-a-new-darkness






I read this back around Halloween and found it really enjoyable. Even though it's more for middle school ages and was a bit board at times; I liked it. The lead Tom Ward is a strong lead for the story that brings out the action and mystery. Jenny brings such a lightness and helps developed a more dangerous side to the story; as she's just fifteen. During the last few chapters was hard to put down not know how it was going to end. Throughout the book there's parts that I held my breath and 'biting my nails' as I wasn't sure who was going to live or die. The creatures in the book are described so well that I could see they in my head. The writing style is full of description and action. I think that if I was younger I would of liked this book so much more. There was a few parts that I loved and others that I didn't, I just felt that this book could have more to it in a way of getting to know the characters and world better. This is a book for readers who enjoy more action and creatures.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

I Review for...

Professional Reader

Reviews Published50 Book Reviews