Review: Red Queen

4:00 AM


Red Queen
Author:  
Followed by: Red Queen #2
Genres: Fantasy, YA, Dystopia, Magic, Romance

This is a world divided by blood - red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart...


Quote I Found Online
   Red Queen… I don’t know where to start. I wanted to read it right when I first heard about it, Silver, Red, fake princess, resistance group; I mean what can go wrong, right? ;) I finally got my hands on it and I just don’t know what to say… but it’s AMAZING, I love it! With some stories like this, the plot is overdone. But Victoria Aveyard knows how to write. She understands her characters and this world. At first I wasn’t sure about Mare Barrow, there was just something about her. I think is was how she kept thinking how much better her sister was then her. However, once the story went on the more I began to enjoy Mara. She is walking a little, thin, line that at any point she may fall. There’s kinda’ a love triangle, however, that isn’t the main thing in these pages. There’s just a dash of it to where you don’t stop thing about it but were it’s not on every single page. As of right now, I’m not sure about any of these three guys, Maven, Cal and Kilorn. At first I was thinking Cal but after everything that’s happened. I am so on the edge about all of these guys.
   There’s much I appreciate in this story. The danger that hangs in the air. The powers that the Silvers have. The face that Mara has a bond to her family; even though her family isn’t major characters, they all play a role. The ending! Oh, my, word! The end, I just can’t put it into words. One of the characters I didn’t trust as the story went on while this ending wasn’t total how I thought it was going to go but this ending wraps up book one however it leaves it open for book two. With many questions answer and others not.
   As for other characters, Queen Elara reminded me a bit of a softer version Queen Levana from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. Lucas who is assigned as Mare's guard, is one that I found myself like that parts he was is. Julian one of Mare’s trainers/teacher becomes a close friend of her, I just adore him (and all of his books!)
   Over all, I’m dying to read the next book and see were these characters are now. How everyone is dealing with the ending of book one!



Fan Art I Found





You Might Also Like

0 comments

I Review for...

Professional Reader

Reviews Published50 Book Reviews