Top TenTuesday #8

2:09 AM

Top TenTuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!
Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

 Ten Books That Will Be In My Beach Bag This Summer




Perfectly Flawed (Flawed #1) by
"I thought I was okay. I mean, I went through my days just fine, pushing toward a goal I could easily achieve. I had friends that loved me, an aunt who adored me, and everything was just okay. But what I thought was okay and fine, all of that changed. The nightmares, well, they started again, throwing me into a pit I couldn't climb out of, the people at school were spreading and starting rumors faster than I could hear them myself, and I was remembering...
I was remembering everything. Well, almost everything. Some things wouldn't come to mind, like why he did it. Why my father killed them, why he tried to kill me? It's not there. Nowhere near my memory. But I'm determined to find out. My name is Joey and this is my story.
" This sounds like an amazing read, I can't wait to start reading this one. Finding out what Joey's father has done and see where this story takes me.

What Happened to Goodbye by

"Who is the real McLean?
Since her parents' bitter divorce, McLean and her dad, a restaurant consultant, have been on the move-four towns in two years. Estranged from her mother and her mother's new family, McLean has followed her dad in leaving the unhappy past behind. And each new place gives her a chance to try out a new persona: from cheerleader to drama diva. But now, for the first time, McLean discovers a desire to stay in one place and just be herself, whoever that is. Perhaps Dave, the guy next door, can help her find out. Combining Sarah Dessen's trademark graceful writing, great characters, and compelling storytelling, What Happened to Goodbye is irresistible reading.
" I've been waiting to read this one from the moment it came out. It's on my TBR list, so I'm going to add it to my beach bag! 

The Day Before by  

"One moment can change everything.Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.
Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets. The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she is drawn to him. And the more she's troubled by his darkness. Because Cade is not just living in the now; he's living each moment like it's his last.
" I just found out about this book, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. This sounds like an amazing read. 

Raksha (Blood and Fire #1) by



"She has no name. She has her knives; her training; her halo.

The first and second give her the tools and the skill to defeat the opponents she is pitted against each month. The third frees her from pain and fear. From any kind of emotion at all. Everything is as it should be. Everything is as it should be, until… FearPainAngerHappinessDesireGuilt
Love.
When a newly-named Kit escapes the Sanctuary after killing her best friend, the last thing she needs is another knife in her hand. Or Ryka, the damaged, beautiful blonde boy, who she refuses to let save her. Still learning how to process the onslaught of her new feelings, the sights and sounds of Freetown are overwhelming and strange. There are a hundred differences between her old home and her new one, but one thing remains starkly similar: the matches. Yet where the blood in the Sanctuary landed only on the colosseum floor, Kit will quickly learn that a river of red runs through Freetown’s very streets.
Freed from the oppression of a society who stole her right to feel, the true horror of her old life leaves Kit wondering if she really has been freed at all. Would she be better off without the crippling horror of all the blood on her hands, or is the love of one boy worth living through all the pain? Raksha is the call of the dead. It is the rumbling chant for fresh blood from the other side, the demand for sacrifice. The colosseum is behind Kit. The fighting pits await.
" I really can't wait to read this; it sounds like its going to be a very good read. I love lead characters that have unknown secrets. 


Abandon (Abandon Trilogy #1)by


 "Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back. But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most. But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.
" This is one I've read a lot about but still haven't gotten my hands on a copy... yet. I'm looking forwards to reading this one. 

 

Airborne (Airborne Saga #1) by



"Avery knew she had a knack for attracting trouble, but even she is shocked when a six-foot-something harpie shows up on her doorstep. Coping with the existence of a mythological race? Okay. Unwittingly finding herself in the middle of a vicious harpie conflict? A little less okay. Having to rely on an arrogant harpie boy who gets under her skin? Now that is something Avery isn’t sure she can handle."
Airborne I believe will be a good read. The blurb (that's right up there) pulled me in I can't wait to read this one as well.



Virginia Day Zero (Day Zero) by

"Murph and Rory Caulfield are two regular kids in the small town of Coombs in rural Virginia. When their uncle goes to fetch the local sheriff after finding "something bad" on his farm, the boys go to check it out for themselves. What they find is more than just bad, though - it could kill them and everyone they know.
The race is on now. First to escape, then to find out what's happened to their family and their town. If they can do that, they can think about finding a safe place to hole up away from the horrors that pursue them. But day zero is here, and maybe there are no safe places. Not any more.
Virginia Day Zero is a sci-fi short story about the end of the world." I have such a soft spot for sci-fi. It would have to be one of my favorite genres to read. I can hardly wait to read this story, this summer.


Protector by


"Anna-Marie has spent almost her whole life in love with the boy across the creek. From the age of five they have been in each others lives, so when Anna-Marie’s boyfriend, Dylan, dies under mysterious circumstances it drives her into a deep depression. She desperately clings to his memories for solace.
After reports come out of a another mysterious death, Anna-Marie climbs her way out of despair as she throws herself into a search for the assailant, who is callously tearing so many lives apart. During Anna-Marie’s search, she has a chance encounter with a mysterious man who flips her world upside down once again. Alessandro Pierre, the deadly son of the vampire leader of the Brotherhood Order, appears to be just as normal as the next guy, but he is far from it.
The further Anna-Marie digs into Dylan's death she is plunged into a world she isn’t quite prepared for. She gets caught up in a deadly game from her worst nightmares, and eventually learns that it is her own world as well.
" The mystery of this story is one of the main parts that pulled me in. Waiting me to learn more about Anna-Marie. I hope this book keeps me turning page and wanting to know more.


Hidden (Hidden #1) by


"Sixteen-year-old Leah Grant has given up on being normal. She'd settle for stopping the voices in her head, intrusive visions of the future, and better odds of making it to her seventeenth birthday.
That's the thing about pretending to be human in a world where magic used to exist - at any moment, her cover could be blown and she'll be burned to death like the rest of the witches.
Everything changes when she loses control of her powers and flees the orphanage she grew up in. She desperately wants to be invisible but finds her face plastered on every news channel as humans panic over the possible resurgence of her kind. And now the hunters won't give up until they find her.
Making friends for the first time in her life and falling in love with one of them drives her to discover why she is unlike any being she's ever met - human or otherwise. The dangerous powers inside of her that would repel Nathan, her new, handsome reason for living, are priceless to some. The locked up forever kind of priceless. And to others, they are too dangerous to allow her to live. Let's hope she can stay hidden.
" The opening to the "

Sixteen-year-old Leah Grant has given up on being normal." hooked me right away, making me want to know more about Leah Grant. This may be one that makes me loss sleep this summer.



Jaded (Rock Star Trilogy #1) by

I'm Scarlett Ryan. Yes, THAT Scarlett Ryan.
I live an extraordinary life: millionaire rock star, owner of exotic cars, pictures of me in every magazine, millions of fans, and a name that is recognized world wide. It's supposed to be my dream come true. But, my life IS a fantasy, and I want real. I want exciting. I want... NORMAL. So, I moved from California to Florida, hoping to obtain some normalcy. Instead I find... Stephan Montgomery.
He's an arrogant jerk. Seriously, I hate him. I swear if he tells me one more blonde joke, I will punch him... again... Unfortunately I can't stop thinking about him, or his gorgeous green eyes. Trust me, I know that he's bad for me. If only my heart would listen. I also find out that my parents have kept a LIFE CHANGING secret from me. I need to know the truth. The harder I strive for normal, the stranger things seem to get.
" This is one I just found out about and right away added right away to my TBR list. I enjoy stories based around music. Plus, it sounds like its going to be a really good read. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sarah Dessen's books are always perfect for summer <3 And Raksha does sound awesome! I need to check that one out too!

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I've heard really great things about The Day Before though I've never read it.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete

I Review for...

Professional Reader

Reviews Published50 Book Reviews